Monday, June 28, 2010

Finally, I made it... (Kranji War Memorial)

One thing I came to realize is never trust a singular source, but opt for a plural option when looking for information on bus guide. I had learnt my lesson last Saturday when I visited the Kranji War Memorial.

Before I headed out from Sembawang, where I temporary staying put, I found from one particular source online that SBS 160 from Kranji MRT station was the only bus to the destination.

After a lengthy wait, I decided to peek at the bus guide and realized I had missed a few buses that would had brought me to the Memorial.

Eventually, I took bus 170 (being the first number that popped out after my blooper) and was told by the guide to alight "before Jalan Bumbong".

Bah!! another piece of the misleading detail as there is bus stop (pictured above) at the junction that lead to the Memorial!

I came to know about this memorial during my school days, as I was told that this is the burial place for those who died while fighting against the Japanese during the World War II.

The memorial is well segregated with tombstones of the deceased from British, Australian, Indian armies and local volunteering corps.

These are main landmarks of the memorial which are visible from as far as the MRT viaduct between Kranji and Yew Tee stations.

While the walls of the main building behind these landmarks were craved with names of those who sacrificed during the war.

The stone is place in front of the main building of the memorial with the words "THEY DIED FOR ALL FREE MEN" craved on it in various languages.

Behind the main building is another stone wall which craved the names of those Indian soldiers who died during the services.

Those Indian soldiers who served and died in service were buried at the plot behind the main building.

For some, if they were able to identify who they were, their tombstones were written as in this manner (A SOLDIER OF THE INDIAN ARMY).

While those who were lucky, their name and rank and other details were marked on their tombstones (like this sepoy from the 14th Punjab Regiment, Khan Muhamad died at the age of 21 at 8th September 1942).

A shot of the main building from one side of the lawn.

These deceased gave their life while trying to prevent (but unsuccessfully) the Japanese from crossing over from Straits of Johor (partial hidden but pictured above with the skyline of Johor Bahru) during a miscalculated move that led to the fall of Singapore in 1942.
While this memorial is maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, this place is also served as a State Cemetery as the burial ground for the presidents of the Republic (which I believe is administrated separately from the main cemetery).

However, only two of those deceased presidents of the Republic were buried in the State Cemetery, one of whom was President Benjamin Sheares - the second President of the Republic (pictured above).

While the founding President, Encik Yusof Bin Ishak had his tombstone located on a remote corner of the burial grounds (pictured above).

1 comment:

POhui, I have something to add

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

(C)2009-2010 Ko Po Hui

All Rights Reserved.